Monday, March 11, 2013

Inverness: Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle


Tuesday morning I hopped on a bus and rode out to the ruins of the Urquhart Castle, to see Loch Ness for myself.  This mini-trip almost didn't happen; I wanted to walk or rent a bike, not take a bus.  The information lady was very enthusiastic about the road not being suited for bikes, and that the bus was really the best way.  I listened to her, and I'm glad I did.  I probably would have died if I'd tried to ride.   Even though the bus was an hour late.  

Then, I almost didn't pay to go in to the castle once I got there.  It's always a little annoying when you have to pay for something that's just...sitting there.  However, I know that the money will go towards upkeep, and after being through it, I can agree that this is worth preserving.  The castle grounds were really cool.  There's a security person, but you can really just wander around and climb on anything you want, within reason.  

I suppose this is obvious, but Loch Ness is gorgeous.  Bordered by high hills on both sides, it stretches as far as you can see in either direction, and the lake and sky almost blend together in a blue haze around the edges.  Beautiful.  And no, I didn't see the monster. 








1 comment: